Tuesday, May 24, 2011

owl see you later



Have you ever started something with a vigor and passion that makes you think this task will be the quickest, easiest thing you've ever done? Then, hours or maybe even days later you realize that excitement isn't enough to get the job done. You actually have to know what you're doing. Well, this owl was that for me.
I got about a third of the way through and realized that I didn't know what I was doing and feathers were looking like flat weird plates of armour and colors were being used that shouldn't have been. I was ready to take a large knife and end it all with a few bold strokes to the canvas. But then a friend of mine saw something I didn't and offered to buy the piece if I would just finish it for her. Thank God she did because I finally figured out what worked and what didn't when it came to painting a bird close up and learned a lot about painting in general by completing this piece. So the moral of the story is this: finish it and fail miserably or finish it and succeed. Either way, you finished what you started and you may come out ahead in the end. And if you don't, well, there's always that large knife to make you feel better.

No comments: